Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Simple Update

Things are becoming a little more real, in terms of coping with the fact that I am moving to Africa in six months. I have so much energy inside that has been built up and it is slowing leaking out in the form of stress!! I have turned in so many forms, since the acceptance, with more to do still and it feels never ending. I am trying not to sweat the small stuff, but it's harder than it sounds. Thus far I have sent in my paperwork for my '"passport" (not really sure what type of passport this is considering I had to send my passport in with it, maybe something as simple as a stamp?) and also my Visa.
I should be receiving these items at orientation before I leave the states. Now I need to concentrate on getting insurance and other personal ventures settled before the big take off.

So one would have thought that the end had came for getting shots, oh but no, one more. I am told one more but would not be surprised if the welcoming committee in Africa all had needles in their hands. The Yellow Fever vaccine is the last, hopefully, and needs to be done around six weeks before departure, which should give me plenty of time from now.

I am starting to think about what I am going to do with all of my stuff. Of course I will be keeping some of it, hopefully Grandpa and Janice let me borrow a closet at their house, but not a lot. If all goes to plan I will be able to sell everything except about two plastic bins worth, we will see. I am looking to keep personal things (photos, a few past gifts...), a few winter items (since I will be needing none of it there and all of it once I return) and then some random crap that I for some reason won't be able to get rid of.

I downloaded Rosetta Stone, legally of course, to try and get ahead of the game. I will HOPEFULLY be living in a community that primarily speaks French but there is a possibility that I will have to learn Wolof (a language spoken only in three West African countries). It would not be the end of the world learning another language but I would love nothing more than to become fluent in French and since I already have a good base, why not stick with it, right?

Well, that is about all for now. I can assure you that there will be more exciting posts to come in the future, but I just want to keep accurate records of pre-departure.

Tout à l'heure.

0 comments:

 

A French Connection Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger