Sunday, November 20, 2011

Its Official.... IM IN! HELLO SENEGAL!

This last week has been absolutely crazy! Upon returning from my brothers wedding in California, I came home to a wonderful package from the Peace Corps. I was expecting something, wasn't sure what, because I had an interview with my placement officer on Friday (Nov 4th). She told me that she only had one question for me. At this point I was really nervous, only one question? Well, I can't really afford to mess it up then can I?
Okay, and the question was (drum roll please)...... "Do you plan on continuing being a vegetarian if you are invited to serve for the Peace Corps?" What? Yes! No! I don't know, what do you want me to say? I was so excited once I heard those words coming out of her mouth. The first thing I thought was that I could for sure muster up something to sound intelligent and like I have actually thought this through. My actual answer; "I would not want my eating habits to get in the way of getting the most out of this experience. If I can continue on not eating land animals, great, but it will not be the end of the world if I have to adjust my food habits in order to fit in more and get the most out of the new culture that I am surrounded by." Or something like that. Either way, she liked my answer and said that I would be getting a package in the mail in the next 5-7 business days.

So back to the beginning of my story -- Once I got home from Eddy's wedding I was pleasantly welcomed with a quite large envelope package from the Peace Corps. Inside the package was a congratulatory letter, information on my assignment, the Peace Corps Volunteer handbook, A Few Minor Adjustments handbook (a book on culture, the Peace Corps, training, and coming home), a handbook for Families of Volunteers, a flyer saying I need to get the Yellow Fever Vaccination (boo), and a binder/packet thing with crucial information on getting a Visa, insurance, figuring out your finances, and forms for publishing your story in your local paper. Together, all of these forms are a little overwhelming. I am taking them one at a time, looking at deadlines, and ordering them by importance.

I am not sure if this is weird but I feel like the easy part is over. Now I am going to be faced with selling a majority of my stuff, finding a sub leaser, packing (but not too much), organize a last trip to see my parents, and last but not least, say goodbye for now to all the friends that have grown to become family. I am going to try not to stress about all the little things that I can't do anything about yet, and focus on making sure I keep up with deadlines. 

Can't wait! This is going to the an experience of a lifetime!! SENEGAL HERE I COME!
Webpage depicting that I am invited to serve in Senegal.

0 comments:

 

A French Connection Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger